Paypal and SegMetrics
SegMetrics gives you the ability to analyze your marketing campaign performance by connecting PayPal with other data sources.
With that information, you can easily segment that data into your leads, find the automation triggers that convert to customers, understand where your most valuable leads are coming from, etc.
In This Article
- Integration Overview
- How to connect PayPal to SegMetrics
- How to Connect Payment Information to CRM Contacts
- How much historical data is synced when you first connect PayPal to SegMetrics?
- How to build a Report with PayPal
- Frequently asked questions
SegMetrics takes the spend from your ad platforms and purchases from PayPal then connects them to the email addresses in your CRM.
You don't need to import the orders or tag people in a special way: they just need to be in your PayPal and CRM!
How to connect PayPal to SegMetrics
There are two PayPal integrations available in SegMetrics: PayPal & PayPal (Legacy).
If possible, it is recommended to use the standard PayPal integration, as PayPal Legacy does not support subscriptions nor the names of products purchased through PayPal.
1) Click on the gear icon in the top right corner and then click "Integrations"
2) Once you're on the Integrations page, select the Payments list and click on Connect next to PayPal.
This guide will help you set up the integration with PayPal REST API that will allow you to get better information from your PayPal transaction data, including subscription and invoice information.
- A PayPal business account
- Transactions need to be enabled for your PayPal account. We'll show you below how to check and how to enable them.
Go to Paypal Developers page and Log In to the developer dashboard by clicking the 'Log into dashboard' link from top-right side of the page.
Click on "My Apps and Credentials" from the left menu. Next click on the "Live" button below "My Apps and Credentials" title on the right side then on the "Create app" button. On the 'App name' field you can enter "SegMetrics" and click again "Create app".
Once the app is created, scroll to the bottom of the page, and check Transaction Search to allow SegMetrics to import your transaction history.
After the app is created you'll see the details required to connect SegMetrics to Paypal.
Note: If you see "Live/Sandbox" on top right after creating the app, make sure "Live" is selected.
Copy the "Client ID" value and "Client secret" (click on 'Show' link below "Secret" label to view the client secret) and paste them to the corresponding fields on SegMetrics' PayPal integration form.
Connecting PayPal Legacy
3) On the activation window, you will be asked for a your PayPal API, Username, Password and Signature.
4) To find these credentials open up your PayPal Account.
5) Go to Profile > Settings > My Selling Tools > Selling online > API Access > NVP/SOAP API Integration..
6) Copy these values into SegMetrics and press Save
How to Connect Payment Information to CRM Contacts
There is nothing left to do: SegMetrics will match the email addresses in PayPal with those in your CRM and connect the payment data automatically.
But, if you have more than one payment processor we recommend using whichever can act as the single source of truth.
How much historical data is synced when you first connect PayPal to SegMetrics?
When you connect a new PayPal data source, 3 years of historic data from your PayPal account is synced. PayPal does not allow data over 3 years old to be
Pro Tip: Once PayPal is connected and actively syncing data, we store the data that's collected in our own database. This allows us to accumulate more data over time as more data syncs are made so that you can report on more historical PayPal data in your SegMetrics reports.
How to build a Report using PayPal data
Once your data is imported from PayPal, you can create reports with the data to see how each touchpoint influences your sales.
1) Click Contacts > New Report, then save it to name it
2) Select your desired filters based on dates, tags and touchpoints
3) Save it for later use or to use the data in a custom dashboard
Frequently Asked Questions
What time zone is PayPal data synced in?
PayPal data is synced in ___. SegMetrics reports on your data based in the timezone that you set in your Account Settings.
Do I need the tracking snippet to get the data found in my PayPal account?
You do not need to create a Tracking Link for SegMetrics to track website purchases.
Popular PayPal Metrics
|Ad Spend||Ad Clicks||Ad Impressions|
|Return On Ad Spend||Leads||Revenue|