Setting up LinkedIn Ad Tracking
When tracking LinkedIn Ads with SegMetrics, you will need to configure your ads with the appropriate tracking value.
In order for SegMetrics to track your ad-spend effectively, you need to add the Ad Id to the URL on each of your ads. Unlike other ad platforms, currently LinkedIn does not support automatic ad id or UTM population.
Follow the steps below to configure your ads correctly.
Here's how to set up your ad-tracking for LinkedIn
- Make sure that the SegMetrics Tracking Pixel is installed on your site & landing pages.
- From your Integrations Page, click on "Manage Settings" for LinkedIn, and choose "Install Ad Tracking"
- Here will be a list of all the ads that we've detected as currently being active, and need to be updated.
- Open the LinkedIn ad manager, and open each ad by clicking on the Ads category in the main menu
- For each ad that you want to update, confirm the Creative ID on the ad description:
- Click on the Menu Icon on the ad, and choose Manage
- Click the Text of the ad to open the ad editor
1111111with the Creative Id you copied earlier.
- If you already have utm values on your ads, then use an ampersand instead of a question mark:
While SegMetrics only needs the ad_id value to track Ad, AdSet and Campaign performance, it may be beneficial to use full utm tracking for better analytics in other systems you may be using.
The following is our recommended UTM Tracking format for LinkedIn ads:
Note: URLs for Sponsored Status Updates will not show up in the configured ad list, even if they are configured correctly in LinkedIn. This is caused by a permissions limitation with LinkedIn Ads.
Warning about URL Shorteners
It has come to our attention that most URL Shorteners will remove all UTM and Ad Tracking from the final URL,which breaks tracking in SegMetrics, Google Analytics, Infusionsoft, and any other tracking systems that you may use. We highly recommend using your FULL URL when creating ads, or use a custom redirection service that will keep the UTM and Ad Tracking values.
You can test this by taking your link shortener, and adding ?utm_campaign=test to the end of it.
|Shortened URL|| https://bit.ly/2LQwjlZ
If your final URL has the UTM value still attached, then your URL shortener will work. If not, we recommend using the full URL.
(NOTE: Bit.ly USED to pass UTM values to the final page, but they discontinued that feature. Be mindful that third party systems can change at any time)