Implementing SegMetrics with Google Tag Manager
Implement SegMetrics with Google Tag Manager
Google Tag Manager (GTM) is a free application that allows users to remotely alter and activate certain code snippets that fire in a web or mobile app, without requiring direct access to the codebase or an App Store resubmission.
To use GTM you can install a single code snippet that fetches and runs any custom script tags you’ve set up in GTM’s own UI based on your triggers.
The software allows you to alter isolated portions of your code through a relatively intuitive UI, without much risk of altering or breaking the existing functionality of your site.
1. Get Your Tracking Pixel
SegMetrics comes with its own Tracking Pixel that collects advanced metrics on your leads, including their real lead source, optin URL, UTM codes from when they first hit your site, geo-location and much, much more.
- Go to your Site Setup page from the gear in the top menu
- You can see the full instructions on how to configure your Pixel under Installing the Tracking Pixel
- Copy your tracking code for use in setting up the tag in following steps. You will need this later.
2. Configure Google Tag Manager
- Log in to your Google Tag Manager account.
- Select your website's container and click Add a new tag.
- Name the tag SegMetrics Tracking Pixel.
- Under Tag Configuration choose Custom HTML Tag.
- Copy the SegMetrics Pixel from above, and paste the code in the Google Tag Manager HTML container.
- Under Triggering select All Pages.
- Click Save.
- When you're finished creating your tags, click Publish.
3. Check if the Tracking Pixel is Working
Once you've uploaded all your events, you should check if your Tracking Pixel is working correctly. To check that your pixel is working properly on your live site, follow the instructions under Debugging Your Tracking Pixel