Implementing SegMetrics with Google Tag Manager
Implement SegMetrics with Google Tag Manager
Google Tag Manager (GTM) is a free application that allows users to remotely alter and activate certain code snippets that fire in a web or mobile app, without requiring direct access to the codebase or an App Store resubmission.
To use GTM you must install a single code snippet that fetches and runs any custom script tags you’ve set up in GTM’s own UI based on your triggers.
The software allows you to alter isolated portions of your code through a relatively intuitive UI, without much risk of altering or breaking the existing functionality of your site.
1. Get Your Tracking Snippet
SegMetrics comes with its own Tracking Snippet that collects advanced metrics on your leads, including their real lead source, optin URL, UTM codes from when they first hit your site, geo-location and much, much more.
- Go to your Site Setup page from the gear in the top menu
- Copy the snippet code and put it on every page of your website, right before the closing
You should include this code even on pages where you don't have any optin forms, so that we can accurately track your lead sources.
- You can see the full instructions on how to configure your Snippet under Installing the Tracking Snippet
- Copy your tracking code for use in setting up the tag in following steps. You will need this later.
2. Configure Google Tag Manager
- Log in to your Google Tag Manager account.
- Select your website's container and click Add a new tag.
- Name the tag SegMetrics Tracking Snippet.
- Under Tag Configuration choose Custom HTML Tag.
- Copy the SegMetrics Snippet from above, and paste the code in the Google Tag Manager HTML container.
- Under Triggering select All Pages.
- Click Save.
- When you're finished creating your tags, click Publish.
3. Check if the Tracking Snippet is Working
Once you've uploaded all your events, you should check if your Tracking Snippet is working correctly. To check that your pixel is working properly on your live site, follow the instructions under Debugging Your Tracking Snippet